Science Talent Search Reflections

Today you are going to write a reflection on your Science Talent Search project.

Your post should be 2 to 3 paragraphs long.

Use the following prompt to guide your reflection:

• What was your project title and type?
  • How did you chose your project topic?
  • What did you enjoy about undertaking your project?
  • What did you learn through completing your project?
  • What was easy in completing your project?
  • What was difficult in completing your project?
  • If you were to do the project again, what would you do differently?

Remember:

• Begin with a positive statement
  • Share your ideas
  • Support or explain your ideas
  • Use detailed and descriptive language
  • Sign off with a concluding comment or question
  • Proof read your post to ensure it makes sense

20 comments

1. Hello 5ES,
    Recently, over the past few weeks, we have been working on and presenting our annual Science Talent Search (STS) projects. I enjoyed doing my project, (although not so much the presenting bit!) based on geology and its applications on our lives beneficially, and decided to base it on a card game. The whole idea of the game is getting the most amount of money in the end by distributing game cards evenly between players, testing them on questions on their cards. If the other player gets it right out of the three options, they receive a certain amount of cash (answers can be confirmed on the back with a ‘Fun Fact’) otherwise they lose another sum of money.

I learnt a lot more about the palm oil industry, the atmosphere and geological landscapes. Although I did do a good job on the questions themselves, I reckon I could have done a more elaborative game, and could have used my time in the first week more wisely as well as thinking further into it. I have to admit, heaps of people did a poster on ‘Where Have All the Bees Gone?’, and some things I never knew about before were CCD (Colony Collapsing Disorder), how bees play such a key role for us and the environment, and at this rate, bees could be wiped out in decades!

Have you started thinking about STS next year?
    ES

1. I have started thinking about my STS, and I have decided to do a computer game. I’m learning how to do computer programming mainly through this course website (for free) called code.org. It’s pretty comprehensive and apparently it only takes 24-25 hours!

2. Dear fellow bloggers,

I hope that you’ve all enjoyed blogging on this site. I really enjoyed sharing my Science Talent Search project because I got to share my knowledge on Food for the Future – Science feeding the World, which was the topic. I liked when we got to hear our peers share theirs.

I was quite nervous when I started presenting my project. It was a picture story book called ‘You Eat What?!’ It was about a girl my age who went on a holiday to South America and told her friends but they thought that it was disgusting, so they went to a restaurant serving insects and the friends started to like the taste of the insects. It’s supposed to emphasise why insects as food for the future is better for the environment and for us than livestock is.
    I worked really hard on my STS project. Fortunately we’ll have a break from it for another year. What did you guys think about the project?

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed reading my blog post.
    From MK

3. Dear 5ES,
    I really enjoyed listening to everyone’s Science Talent Search.
    My topic was called You Eat What?! I chose this topic because I could talk about any kind of food so it was easier to think of what foods I could include. My project was a picture story book. It was about a person travelling through time and going into 2031. The person spoke about what food would be in the future. The person asked different people how the food was made. I felt satisfied with my presentation because I had good volume and good pace when I was speaking, so people knew and understood what I was saying. Next time, I would like to improve on my timing because it was a bit too long.

A few things I learnt about my topic are:
    • How synthetic meat was made-it is normally grown in a lab or test tube. They are made out of a little bit of butter and sunflower oil. The fibres are grown in a lab and then bound together.
    • Crickets – they contain 12.9 gram of protein, 121 calories and 5.5 grams of fat in every 100 grams of crickets.
    • Dehydrated pizza – to expand it you just pour water and wait for 2 minutes.

Three things I learnt while listening to my classmates projects are:
    • A farmer’s telescope – it can be used for looking at different herds of animals.
    • Etomophagy – what people call bug eaters.
    • Bees – we can save them by eating more organic foods.

I hope you enjoyed my post.
    K.A

4. Hello world,

I really enjoyed doing our science talent search and listening to other’s topics this week. I chose to base my poster on the topic of ‘Where Have All The Bee’s Gone?’ Before I presented I felt like I could only do my best and I was very determined. I think I did really well in pronouncing all the hard words but I think I could work on my eye contact and not read directly off the poster.

A few things I learnt about my topic are;
    – how fast bee numbers are declining and if we don’t do something they will soon die out
    – there are over 25,000 known species of bee’s in the world
    – pesticides can soak into crops and kill bees for over twenty years.

I hope you enjoyed my blog!
    From A.J.

5. Dear fellow bloggers,

I thought that the Science Talent Search was really interesting. I learnt a lot about my topic and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I did my Science Talent Search on the topic ‘Insects are food’. I thought that it was amazing that so many insects were edible and that 80% of people in the world ate them. I learnt many facts about this topic.

The format I chose for this topic was a poster. I thought I drew the pictures well and I thought I wrote the words well. I think I could improve by talking a bit louder and slower but I still think I talked at a good speed.

Three things I learnt about my topic are:
    * That over 1000 species of insects are eaten all over the world
    * Insects have lots of good nutrients in them
    * 80% of people eat insects

Three things that I learnt by watching other people’s presentations were:
    * Eye contact is even more important than I thought it was
    * It is really important to stick to the topic
    * It is really important to speak clearly

I thought that the Science Talent Search was a fantastic experience. Thanks for reading!
    From H.M.

6. Dear fellow bloggers,
    Recently our class, 5ES has finished sharing all of our Science Talent Search projects. I really enjoyed listening to everyone’s Projects and sharing my own.
    I believe that the Science Talent Search was really interesting for me, because I learnt a lot of new things from other people’s projects. Three things I learnt from the other projects were:
    • What happens when you put Mentos into fizzy drinks.
    • Why the bees’ population has decreased.
    • Why there is more food in the sea.
    I also really enjoyed sharing the story book I did based on the topic ‘You Eat What!?’. I felt I did a really good job in presenting my story book. The reason why I chose to do this topic is because I tried thinking of a storyline for all of them but my best storyline related to ‘You Eat What!?’, but it was still fairly hard to think of scientific words. My favourite thing about undertaking the project was drawing the pictures for the book since it was fairly easy. I also learnt many things from my own project as well, e.g. 80% of the world eats bugs. If was to do my project again, I would try to use more scientific words because I think I didn’t use enough.
    Overall, I really enjoyed doing the Science Talent Search, because it was a really good experience for me. Thanks for reading my blog post!
    V.L.

7. Hello world!
    I really enjoyed presenting my science talent search to the class! For my S.T.S, my topic was ‘Where have all the bees gone?’ I thought it was a very interesting topic to learn about because I was really interested in why our honey bees were disappearing for no good reason, so I intended to find out. The form of my projet was a poster. During my presentation I felt very nervous and in the end I think I did really well! However, next time I think I could speak louder and give more eye contact. One thing I learnt were that CCD is a disease that attacks bees’ immune systems.
    Thanks for reading!
    I.G.

8. Dear 5ES,

I really enjoyed watching and listening to people show us their projects. My science project was about food under the sea. I think my project went for one or two minutes. I talked about five edible seaweeds called Nori, Wakame, Hijiki, Konbu and Dulse.
    My favourite seaweed is Nori because it is the seaweed around sushi.

I also included an example recipe for miso soup. It took me two or three days to complete it. While making my poster, I found out about a lot of information that I didn’t know before. This science talent search is something that I will never forget.

From T.S

9. Dear World,
    My science project topic was food for our future. I made a video about coke reacting to Mentos. Although I didn’t get high results, my intention was that maybe Mentos could be bad in digesting and could cause something like that to happen in our stomach causing us to be sick. I also did it because I thought it would be kind of fun. I was a bit nervous while actually presenting it but it did not go so bad.

I felt much better after it was all over and was happy that no one really disliked my project or laughed at it thinking it was hilarious or bad. To be honest I was surprised that no one did and happy at once and now I can’t wait to show it to Ms Sleeth, our class teacher.
    MM

10. Hello 5ES,
    I really liked working on my poster. It was great fun. My topic was insects are food. It was hard finding lots of facts on bugs to research about. I felt really good about my presentation. I think I did well with my facts and I could improve on how long I can research for. Three things I learnt about my topic are you can eat crickets, there is such thing as a mige fly and insects have 80% protein.
    ACa

11. Hello members of the 5ES community,
    It looks like you’ve really been enjoying posting on this blog. For the science talent search my topic was a telescope with two scopes like binoculars. It was called the twin telescope and it was an invention. I felt a bit nervous but in the end it was ok. The bit I think I did well at was the talking and sharing. Next time I present I would like to improve more on showing the parts. It took a long time to make. It took about three days. The difficult bit was finding a magnifying glass to actually see. We used some binocular bits to put it together. For the scopes I used pluming parts and to connect it I used a clip in the middle to put them together. For the stand I used three bits of wood and made a mini creek in the wood to let the telescope sit. It took two to three days to finish. Next time I might do something different.
    TN

12. Dear fellow class bloggers,
    My science talent search was about eating our way to the future. My format was a picture story book. I felt happy that I presented my presentation. I did my reading well. I really want to improve on my eye contact because I didn’t do any eye contact. I learnt that there will be nothing to replace trees, water, crops and animals. IFf I were to do the science project again I would do the working modal. It was really hard trying to complete it because I couldn’t find anything for eating our way to the future. The only thing that was easy was the start because I knew what to do.
    Thanks for reading my post,
    YT

13. Dear 5ES,
    I really enjoyed watching everybody’s science talent search speeches. I believe that it must have taken a long time to try and put our effort into this science talent search project.

My favourite part of the science talent search speech was watching everbody’s speech.

The worst part of the science talent search was how I am was going to set out the project. The second worst thing was worrying aout how many words I put into my speech.

I was a little bit embarrassed when I did my speech, but in the end I was pretty happy because I got it over and done with. I wonder how you felt when you pressented your speech?

I hope you enjoyed reading my post about the science talent search,
    from N.S

14. Dear 5ES and Ms Sleeth.
    I really enjoyed working and creating an information report about something that’s already been invented. For my Science Talent Search I did a poster. My topic was ‘Farming our Backyards’ but I really called it ‘Urban Farming’.
    Next time I would like to improve on my eye contact and reading a bit slower. tThe reason why is that I didn’t want to muddle up my speech.
    I learnt that:
    1. Urban farming is really important and still is because it is a part of our food source.
    2. Urban farming grows all different types of foods including fruits, herbs and vegetables.
    3. You don’t only grow it in your backyard, it can also be used on top of rooftops because there’s no space to put a farm.
    Thanks for reading my comment.
    Sincerely A.Co.

15. Dear fellow bloggers

Recently 5ES has created and shared their Science Talent Search projects. In my point of view, I thought all of them were great. All of us now need to write a review about it and I am going to do mine now.

To begin with, my topic was ‘Food for the Future’. I did a game relating to the topic called “Nutrition Competition”. I chose the topic because the song “who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?” came into my mind and I wanted to do something relating to that, but not coping.

The thing I enjoyed about undertaking my topic was painting the whole thing. I got to create my own dream house that I couldn’t live in. I thought I did badly but once it turned out, I loved it.

While I was doing my topic I learnt quite a lot when I was doing my mystery cards. I put in lots of facts and most of them I didn’t already know. The answer that really tricked me was that cabbage is made up 91% of water. Who would think that!

I thought the part that was easiest was when I got to paint the base of the house, but I hardest was doing the details of the house. The base of the house was a bigger space and the details and small places were harder because I didn’t have small paint brushes so I made a lot of mess.

If I was to do it again, I would make the game about ‘Who Stole the ………?’ and everything would need to be a mystery. You would need to find the person who stole the……thing. I would have done that but it was way too hard and I changed my mind a lot so that would be even harder. If I can do a mystery theme for the next science talent search I will.

Thanks for reading.

From C.S.

16. Hello fellow bloggers,

My project was a poster about food for our future – ‘insects are food’. The reason I chose my project topic is that I think it could be a big possibility most of us might have to eat insects in the future because some poor countries in the desert can’t grow food because it is too dry and there are some insects though and they are healthy. I enjoyed representing my project because I wanted to let people know you can eat insects. I would never eat them though. I learned that a lot of people eat insects every day and they are really healthy and good for you. The easiest part of completing my project was when I had to cut and paste my work on paper because that is not really a challenge. The most difficult part of completing my project was drawing because the pictures were really hard to draw but I managed and the drawings turned out good. I would not change anything about my project because I had enough words, enough pictures, enough information and it was neat.

From S.R

17. Hello fellow bloggers,

Thank you for watching my science talent search. My science talent search was called “Food for Our Future” and I did science photography. I wanted to do the science photography and “Food for Our Future” was the only topic for it. What I enjoyed was taking pictures of the animals. What I learnt through doing my project was all of the nutrients that sheep, ducks, chickens, cows, vegetables and fruit have in them.

Something that I found easy when doing my project was putting the presentation together. The reason for this is because I like putting things together in projects and I’ve practiced a lot at it. Something that I found hard were getting the information for my project. I also found that getting the photography perfect was very hard because you had to get the correct angle of the plants and animals.
    Thank you for reading my blog post.

From DO.

18. Hello the 5ES community,

I really enjoyed making and sharing my Science Talent Search project with the whole class. My Science Talent Search project was about how the sun can heat up water for our everyday lives. I did a working model for my project. I think that I spoke clearly and I used eye contact on everybody in the room. I think that I should have had my speech in front of me.

I learnt that black plastic is the only material that can be heated up really fast with a strong light from a lamp or the sun. I learnt from listening to a project that Hawaii moves 10 centimetres closer to Asia. It took me about 2 -4 hours to make my project and for drying, 1 whole night because of the paint, glue and silicon. I had really fun making my science talent search.

Thank you for reading my post.
    From M.P

19. Hello World,
    For the Science Talent Search I decided to do the topic ‘Where have all of the Bee’s Gone?’
    The format of my project was a poster. I felt very happy about the way I presented my Science Talent Search project because I took the whole 3 weeks we had practicing it and filling in the decorative details.
    Three things I learned about my topic are:
    – That bees are a vital species for the survival of our planet and most things that live on it.
    – They have contributed to our Earth’s ecosystem for millions of years.
    – In a small provence in China they did not understand how important bees are and did not protect them from diseases/natural predators so now they have to hand pollinate all of their crops which is costly and very labour intensive.
    From listening to other people’s presentations I have learnt a wide variety of interesting facts on a range of different topics.
    Thank you for reading my post,
    AZ